Mission Newsletter, 1/8/19
“Quality is not an act, it is a habit.” -Aristotle
Life wasn’t always easy for the girl. She had been born into extreme poverty to an unwed teenager. Shortly after her birth, her young mother moved away to find work in a large city.
She was left to be raised by her grandmother, who had high expectations of the girl and a long stick to enforce them. But her grandmother also instilled a sense of belief in her. She started teaching the girl how to read at two-and-a-half years old.
The girl learned quickly and by age 6, had already been bumped up to the 3rd grade.
It was a victory… but it was short-lived. When summer started, she was sent to live with her mother.
And from there life grew worse…
New year, new you… right? In this episode, Chad and Stephanie sit down to tackle a question we all ask ourselves this time of year: How can I build habits that actually stick around?
They discuss how you can be smarter about building habits and explain why you shouldn’t follow someone else’s advice for figuring out what habits will work for you. It’s up to each individual to create a system that works for them, and these tips will help get you started.
“Everybody talks about habits, but what not many people talk about is the type and the class of habits that you need to focus on first.”
News That Matters
– “Every large company says that their people are their biggest asset. Yet everywhere we look, we see talented leaders leaving big companies.” — Why Some High Performers Are Quitting Big Companies to Work for Themselves
– Take one non-superconducting material, turn it a certain way, and then place another non-superconducting material on top… Bam! You’ve created a superconductor. Read more about how graphene’s “magic angle” is baffling physicists.
– Get your ‘Om’ on. A study from the Max Planck Institute has found that meditation not only changes the structure and function of the brain; it also changes how you think moment-to-moment. 🧠
– Back in the day, the writers for David Letterman would write fake Broadway show tunes and not tell anyone they were fake. They also created a fake boy band… 😂
– WeWork rebranded to The We Company! This is a part of their bigger vision to move far beyond just office spaces. Learn more.
– Keep This on Your Radar: While it sounds like something straight out of Gattaca,gene-editing has the potential to eradicate many diseases. Here’s all you need to know about gene-editing and why it’s so controversial.
– “I haven’t got ten rules that guarantee success, although I promise I’d share them if I did. The truth is that I found success by stumbling off alone in a direction most people thought was a dead end… So forget the ‘must do’s’ and concentrate on the ‘you probably won’t get far withouts’…” –JK Rowling on Writing
Mission.org is a new kind of a media company. We publish stories, videos, and podcasts to help smart people get smarter. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or learn more about us here. We’d love to connect!
Mission.org helps mission-driven companies build trust and connect with customers in a new way. We create custom podcast sponsorships for enterprise companies. To learn more about why companies like Salesforce trust us to produce results, connect with our team here.
Go to Source
Author: The Mission